canberrabirds

The week in Superb Parrot land

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: The week in Superb Parrot land
From: "Jeannie Gray" <>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:21:34 +1100
Yes indeed the Superbs are at Wybalena Grove, and we are enjoying them immensely:

 As I write, David Landon and I have just watched about a dozen of them settling for the night in a tree a stone's throw from our balcony.  We hear them every day chirrupping away at all times of the day and into the evening, and see them dashing about the sky.  We spent ages one day watching them feeding young, and have had males, females and immatures in the trees in our patch at no 10.  On Saturday we were doing a couple of maintenance things on the balcony and looked up at one point to see two beautiful males in one of our trees, just watching us work. We haven't yet seen them try the water in the bird bath, but they are often perched within view of it, so they no doubt use it when they need to.

We also saw, on Sunday at Bowman Street Jamison, where David had the large flock (31) a couple of weeks ago, just two males, along with about a dozen Red-rumped Parrots.

And last Wednesday I encountered a flock of maybe 30 of them at about 7.30pm on the Golf Course at Holt - heard them, then saw a few up in the trees including one feeding a begging youngster, and then about 20 flew up from the golf-course-green grass against which they had been well hidden!  (No, I'm not a golfer, just a grandmother of twin baby girls who needed to be walked out in their pram!).

We feel very privileged to see these lovely birds.