canberrabirds

Black-tailed Native-hen at Ginninderra

To: Bron King <>
Subject: Black-tailed Native-hen at Ginninderra
From: Robin Hide <>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:50:17 +1100
In about the same location (but perhaps nearer Gummiuk), a single BtNh was feeding vigorously on long grass seedheads today between 11 and noon. Unconcerned by two people standing within 5m of it.

Also seen at the edge of the bay south of McDermott Place: spotted first on the ground under a gum, a Grey Shrike Thrush (adult male by dark bill) moved into a casuarina, and began to sing loudly - when we returned 10 minutes later it was still singing, and was joined (within a metre) in the tree by an Olive-backed Oriole.

Robin Hide

Bron King wrote:
Riding around Lake Ginninderra at 7am today I saw a single B-tN-h about halfway between Bargang Beach and Gummiuk Beach, south of Mott Pl. It was on grass beside reeds, and stayed there while I watched it from about 4m away. I've never seen this bird before so was particularly delighted
that it didn't take fright when I stopped.

Bron King