canberrabirds

Decline of birds in Victorian forests - ABC Science Show 5.12.09

To: <>
Subject: Decline of birds in Victorian forests - ABC Science Show 5.12.09
From: "Tony Lawson" <>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 12:21:26 +1100

Reports show birds are declining in national parks in Victoria. Two thirds of species have shown reduced numbers over 10 years. Reduced rainfall has resulted in less flowering in trees and fewer nest sites. Red Ironbark supplies honey and nectar but this important food species hasn't flowered in two of the last eight years. Other effects on birds include loss of native vegetation. The concern is bird species are disappearing one by one.

Rachel Warren from the UK's Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research discusses climate models and the effects of offsetting carbon output and planting forests or saving forests from loggers. Brendan Mackey says tree planting and protecting forests don't offset the production of carbon dioxide from burning fossil fuels. Margaret Blakers questions our methods of accounting for carbon movement in the biosphere.

Transcript

Robyn Williams: But the point about climate change is that the evidence mounts from any number of sources, such as the population of birds in Australian forests. Alexandra de Blas reports.

Alexandra de Blas: South Australia's record November heatwave felt uneasily like the scientists' warnings that climate change is now tracking against their worst-case scenarios. The extended drought in south-eastern Australia is taking its toll on both people and wildlife. As the climate warms and dries, a series of studies in northern Victoria's box ironbark woodlands has found that birds are disappearing at alarming rates. And it's not just in the bush remnants, the birds in the national parks are declining too.

Monash and Deakin Universities ran three major studies over 13 years, as Professor Andrew Bennett, head of the School of Life and Environmental Sciences at Deakin, explains.

Andrew Bennett: We were astonished when we put the results of these studies together, we found that they were all showing major decline in a whole range of woodland birds across the last ten years, about 108 species we were dealing with, but two-thirds of species of all kinds had declined significantly.

Alexandra de Blas: And how much did they decline?

Andrew Bennett: It varied. It was both some of the common species and the uncommon ones. So, examples like the grey shrike-thrush, a 20% decline. Even the laughing kookaburra that everybody knows, 30% decline. And then some of the other less common ones that people mightn't know, but the black-chinned honeyeater which is typical of these woodlands, 66% decline. Crested bell-bird, 65% decline. So quite large declines of these bird species.

Alexandra de Blas: Do you know how many birds overall have disappeared?

Andrew Bennett: When I compare the first two years of surveys to the last two years, there was over 40% decline in the numbers of individual birds that are recorded there, and when you multiply that out to a forest of 40,000 hectares, that means more than 150,000 fewer birds in the forest now then there was when I started these surveys. And that's huge.

Alexandra de Blas: So what was causing it?

Andrew Bennett: We interpret it as complex changes resulting from long-term decline in rainfall. So there's been over ten years of below average rainfall, and that has a range of effects. So the first is there's less food. So there's less productivity, less insects, less flowering of eucalypts, and that then flows through to reduced reproduction, so their nesting is not as successful. And then there are other more complex effects because the forest dries out and the shrub layer becomes more sparse and so there's less cover and less suitable areas for nest sites and for refuge. So it's a whole complex array of factors that are acting to reduce the populations.

Alexandra de Blas: And what was going on with the flowering?

Andrew Bennett: The species of particular interest is the ironbarks. Red ironbark is the one that is a winter flowering species. They have large flowers, lots of nectar, and this is what the honeyeaters and the lorikeets and the wattle birds come to, and when you have a heavy flowering event in winter you can hear where the flowering is occurring, there's just so many bird species and it's a cacophony of sound. And that's changed. Normally they're reasonably reliable flowerers but in the last eight years since 2002, in four out of eight years there's been essentially no flowering of red ironbarks. So that means that the nectar feeders aren't there, the nectar feeders that come from southern Victoria each winter don't come. So there are these wider ecosystem effects off the change in that resource.

Alexandra de Blas: Do you think those bird numbers would just bounce back if the rainfall increased?

Andrew Bennett: Some species probably would if the rain increased, but the issue here is these changes are occurring on top of 150 years of land use change, and we're talking about the sheep wheat belt of south-eastern Australia where in many districts we've lost 70%, 80%, 90% of the native vegetation. So it's this compounding of the effects of habitat loss and fragmentation, isolation with the climate change. And our concern is that we might be having a whole series of local populations disappearing one by one from these districts.

Alexandra de Blas: What needs to happen to help remedy the situation?

Andrew Bennett: The first one is simply recognising we have a problem and recognising the scale at which we're taking action now does not match the scape of the problem, particularly loss of native vegetation. That's been the huge driver of these concerns. So the challenge now is how can we put it back, how can we restore some of these areas to large-scale restoration so we have landscapes that have 20% and 30% native vegetation present within them? And that's a huge challenge.

Alexandra de Blas: Is there sufficient policy focus and funding to make this happen?

Andrew Bennett: Nowhere near enough, it just doesn't match the scale of the problem. We look at the Caring for Country initiative and I think the figures are something like $2.4 billion over five years, and yet we have an economic stimulus package of $10 billion just before Christmas last year. We really need to rethink the priorities for how we spend money and where we spend money and recognise that biodiversity conservation is something that affects us all and affects the future of Australia and affects the quality of life and our national heritage and who and what we are as Australians.

Alexandra de Blas: Professor Andrew Bennett from Deakin University.

Guests

Andrew F Bennett
Professor of Ecology and Environment Deakin University Burwood Victoria
http://www.deakin.edu.au/scitech/les/about/staff-profiles/display/index.php?username=bennetta

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/scienceshow/stories/2009/2762248.htm