canberrabirds

Superb!

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Superb!
From: "Jeannie Gray" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 18:07:58 +1100
David Landon reports:   From my car this afternoon, between 1.50 and 2.25pm, I observed a maximum of 31 Superb Parrots feeding on the ground on both sides of Bowman Street, Macquarie.  I have never seen so many beautiful males - the split between male and female was close to 50-50.  I was also able to identify a couple of young males - the scarlet crescent was clearly about halfway complete. Garbage trucks, buses, fast cars and loud motorbikes did not worry them at all - they foraged in the gutters and were sometimes less than 10 metres away from my car.   After more than half an hour I left the scene, mainly because students were starting to leave the high school.  It was the part of Bowman Street shortly before you turn left into Wiseman St, with the Canberra High School playing fields on your left and the Jamison Centre car park on your right. (Yellow Pages map 48 ref A5 is helpful).