canberrabirds

Eagle story

To: <>
Subject: Eagle story
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 11:12:42 +1100

I have already mentioned the Kingston-watching eaglet, whose vantage point was on the slopes of Mount Mugga.  I came across this nest while scouting yet again for any sign of nesting by Little Eagles in the area, and at first thought I had found what I was looking for, the nest being relatively small and quite low.  Then an obviously non-little parent came into view.  A nearby observer will usually keep WTE parents away and can endanger a small chick, so I took a couple of quick snaps and moved on.  I next visited on 29 Oct, when the nestling was sitting up, still with quite a bit of pale down.  On 15 November it was much more developed, care then being needed so the bird was not spooked into premature flight.  On 19 November, I noticed the nest was vacant and moved on, but came back an hour later to check for prey-remains underneath it.   Then I saw a parent, stationed in a nearby tree-top.  I didn’t realise the significance of this until I was almost up to the fledgling that was only a couple of metres above the ground, clasping the branch of a fallen tree and looking bemused, as well as imperious.  The rufous tones and shortish tail distinguish it from the adult.

eagle story j.jpg