canberrabirds

Flinders Ranges about to be mined for Uranium.

To: "Tony Hill NPA" <>, "David & Helen Tranter \(new 11.08\)" <>, "Joan Lowe NPA" <>, "John Dorman NPA" <>, "Len Hainke NPA" <>, "Liz Thompson NPA" <>, "Martyn Mordy NPA" <>, "Sue NPA Stanley" <>
Subject: Flinders Ranges about to be mined for Uranium.
From: "Denis Wilson" <>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 23:22:25 +1100
Dear COG and NPA members -
  • please forgive this "off-topic" posting, but many bird watchers and conservationists make regular pilgrimages to the Flinders Ranges.

If, like me, you thought the Flinders Ranges was a precious wilderness resort - think again.
The South Australian Government is preparing to grant "exploration licences" to a major Uranium Mining Company.

Now is the time to have your say.

"We are appealing to all Arkaroola Wilderness Sanctuary friends and supporters to please examine this document very closely and to note that whilst some areas of the northern Flinders Ranges, in particular Mawson Plateau, are being afforded total protection, the majority of important Arkaroola sites are not.
We only have until 19 December 2009 by which to submit objections / suggestions to this proposal.  This could be our last chance to save the Arkaroola Sanctuary from mining and we ask everyone to carefully consider the matter and to please make written submissions in accordance with page 18 of this report."

Public comment is required by 19 December and can be addressed to: