canberrabirds

Some Blitz-related speculation

To: COG list <>
Subject: Some Blitz-related speculation
From: con <>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 13:08:41 +1100
Here are some thoughts arising from my blitz experiences:

1. Should we be targetting a 'rough grassland' reserve which is managed to allow flowers and grasses and possibly even 'weeds' are allowed to run rank and run to seed? This was prompted by the wealth of grassland birds recorded at Stromlo Forest Park: Australian Skylark, Richard's Pipit, Rufous Songlark, Brown Songlark and Golden-headed Cisticiola. In the past month there has been a covey of Stubble Quail, a report of 'quails flushed', Double-barred Finches and Red-browed Finches. The low level of kangaroo grazing, particularly in the lower reaches of the Park were noticeable - plenty of cover for the birds and masses of flower and grass seeds being generated. I note that one of the posters had similar good run at Finch Central - probably for much the same reasons. 2. If not a lightly-grazed 'rough grassland' reserve, should the management of existing grassland reserves be more flexible to allow for more variable outcomes, including patches of 'rough grassland'. (Perhaps this is happening already and I have not noticed it.) 3. Without being able to be statistical about it I seemed to be noticing, compared with three years ago, less of: White-winged Chough, Buff-rumped Thornbill, Varied Sittella and Dusky Woodswallow. 4. Doing my first Gossan Hill NR survey for a year and half or so was an unpleasant experience. The fire management has essentially destroyed the usual main area of Speckled Warbler habitat and I saw no Speckled Warblers. Other 'regulars' were also in lower numbers or absent. 5. O'Connor Ridge NR is criss-crossed with many kilometres (literally) of mountain bike trails, obviously deliberately constructed. There are many dead or dying plants, other plants have been trimmed, and erosion is starting. Are these trails part of the mangement plan or has an interest group essentially taken over a nature reserve for its private, and quite destructive, purposes? 6. Finally, despite some of the above, what fun blitzing is! You tend to go the extra mile, to some little-known corners to sieve for the extra records for the blitz. The Blitz is really about what is usually there, but occasionally a King Quail, a Cicada bird, a Turquoise Parrot or a Black Honeyeater add spice to the normal fare. Plus, as a result of the Cog Blitz:

Spring is sprung
The grass is riz
We know where the birdies is.

Con