canberrabirds

Some more Blitz news

To: <>
Subject: Some more Blitz news
From: "Rod's Gardening" <>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 22:37:26 +1100
I visited Mt Pleasant NR Sunday morn and managed 32 species in about 800 metres and 90 mins.  I managed to track down a Satin Bowerbird nest (a notable first for me) after seeing a female bird flying with nesting material.  Other nesting activity included a Noisy Friarbird which spent about 5 minutes separating what I guess was spider web from some dead vegetation before flying off, a Pied Currawong carried food to its nest, a pair of Galahs inspecting a vertical hollow at the top of a broken tree trunk.  There was a pair of Grey Currawongs in a tree with a large nest, and although I didn't see them approach it I'm guessing it was theirs.  Also seen were male & female Mistletoe Birds and M & F Satin Flycatchers, a single Dusky Woodswallow and a single Dollarbird.

Saturday's highlight amongst 40 species at Jerrabomberra Ck was a pair of Whistling Kites and a nest in the same spot where they bred successfully 2 years ago, perhaps heralding another breeding event?  Also seen were 2 Nankeen Night Herons and a pair of Red Rump Parrots inspecting a hollow, and a Darter on a nest about 200 metres up the Molonglo River.

Returning to Bowerbirds for a moment, they are usually regulars around my place in Holder but I haven't seen one for a while now.  Probably gone elsewhere for breeding?

Cheers

Rod

Rod Mackay
Tel.  0407 456 330