canberrabirds

About baby magpies.

To: "'Vivien'" <>, "'canberra birds'" <>
Subject: About baby magpies.
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 15:47:29 +1100
Hi Viv,

Yes baby magpies come out of the nest at various ages and sizes so it is not unusual. What you describe has also happened with the pair at my house. Although it is still a bit of a mystery what has happened because there were two nests in the one tree but I have two adults feeding four young out of the nest and the dates they left the nest varied by about 5 days from first to last. I think that the chicks separated into two different nearby nests as it got too crowded. So one of the young came down to the ground with hardly any wing feather development and half adult size. The parent kept feeding the young in the nest and on the ground and moved from one to the other although it seemed like the male gave more attention to the one on the ground and the female to those in the nest. This little one spent the night on the ground for at least several nights (My neighbour said he found it on the ground at night.)

Philip Veerman
24 Castley Circuit
Kambah  ACT  2902

02 - 62314041