canberrabirds

The Whipbirds are Back!!

To: <>
Subject: The Whipbirds are Back!!
From: "Tobias Hayashi" <>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 14:12:14 +1100
Hi all,
Its official (if it wasn't before)---the whipbirds are back in the ACT!

Went out blitzing with Paul Fenell this morning, doing parts of the Brindabellas. The first stop at Blue Range Hut yielded one Eastern Whipbird calling, but the scrub there is almost impenetrable. Another stop along Blundell's Creek Road yielded two pairs of whipbirds calling. I even managed to track one down and get a one-second view of a male for my troubles. They were calling again along Warks Road. They must have arrived this spring, because there certainly weren't any when we did the same area last year. Has anyone else seen them recently?

Another interesting area was a stop along the road to Mt Franklin. At one valley there was an estimated 6+ Superb Lyrebirds. Amazing. We couldn't be sure whether some of the calls we were hearing were lyrebirds immitations or the real thing.

Other good birds were Shining Bronze-Cuckoo, Fan-tailed Cuckoo, Brush Cuckoo, Satin Flycatcher, etc. Nice birds, but nothing outstanding.

Hope everyone else went well,
Tobias