canberrabirds

Blitzing in Turquoise.

To: COG List <>
Subject: Blitzing in Turquoise.
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 13:50:44 +1100
So this morning I was blitzing out in the Kowen Forest direction.  I ended up with about 46 species, not too bad for a pinus enhanced selection of sites.

At the entrance I use to the Eastern part of the forest (more or less opposite the new Defence Force joint) I met a flock of about/at least70 Woodswallows.   My guess was 50 White-browed and 20 Masked.    (Duskies didn't turn up until Blue Tiles).  These species must now be approaching plague proportions in the COG AOI!

Sparrow Hill was also quite productive with Scarlet Robin (1m), Flame Robin (2m, 1f) and Red-capped Robin (1f).

I then moved into the area around the Molonglo Gorge and Blue Tiles delivered and Eastern Yellow Robin.  Going up the hill to the East a bit, to a promontory in which a small area of the ACT protrudes into NSW I saw some Dusky Woodswallows.   And just to keep the Rarities Panel gainfully employed, a female Turquoise Parrot. I saw it at about 11:30 and it was moving in the direction of the picnic area, but I wouldn't guarantee it is going to hang around.

Martin