canberrabirds

25,000 list contributions later ...

To: CanberraBirds <>
Subject: 25,000 list contributions later ...
From: David McDonald <>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 11:44:33 +1100
Greetings. Tomorrow is the 10th anniversary of the commencement of our discussion list; I created it on 19 October 1999. It was initially known as 'cog-l', using the naming convention of the time. In July 2004 we renamed it CanberraBirds when moving it from the free list management service Topica.com to GOG's own web hosting cum email facility. At that time we had 185 subscribers.

Over the decade some 25,000 emails have been distributed through the list. They have included discussion topics, requests for information and responses to such requests, reports of bird observations, announcements, etc. In recent years, the number of subscribers has been fairly stable at around 230-250. I know that some people refer to it as 'the chat line' but this is not a correct appellation as, pleasingly, we have little idle chat. Most of the emails sent to the list are of substantive value or interest to subscribers.

Over many years before the list was established, COG had a telephone Hotline. People would leave a message on a (mini-cassette) tape recorder-type answering machine, and a COG volunteer (some of whom are current subscribers to CanberraBirds) would go to the place where the phone and answering machine were located, listen to the reports that had been left, and then record a weekly summary. (My recollection is that McComas Taylor established the Hotline as part of the ACT Birds Atlas project, though I may be wrong on that.) This task was time-consuming, and required careful judgement as to what to include and what to omit. We were indebted to those volunteers for their contributions to the Hotline over the years. The CanberraBirds email list made the Hotline redundant.

Our list has a few simple rules:
Messages sent to the CanberraBirds email list should not
* be of a purely commercial nature
* contain offensive or inappropriate language
* contain personal attacks - discuss the message, not the messenger
* stray too far from our main topics: the wild birds of the Canberra/ACT region, their habitat & conservation.
Messages, including attachments, should be under 100 kb in size.
Overall, COG's Committee of Management (who set the policies for the list and on whose behalf I mange it) and I have been delighted with the way subscribers have behaved on the list, especially the high level of adherence to these rules. Most subscribers are able to use the facilities for self-management of their subscriptions without difficulty, relieving me of any great burden as list manager. That said, I am always happy to assist any subscriber or potential subscriber who experiences problems in using the list.

The first message in the archive was sent by Harvey Perkins on 24 October 1999 with the subject 'CWE Friday Seminar'.

On 02 November 1999 I sent the following message to the list:
As at today's date, Tuesday 2 November, we have 18 members of the 'Canberra Birding' announcements/discussion list (also called 'cog-l', short for COG-List). All are people whom I have invited to join...
I should also mention that, in deciding to establish the list, COG's Committee recognised that we are simply testing the waters with it. If the list is not used, that is, if it becomes apparent that it fills no useful function, then we will close it down. I note, however, that during the last two weeks, being the period that a small number of subscribers have been testing the list's functionality, we have had a number of useful, informative contributions.
Well, the list has turned out to be a success, thanks to all subscribers and contributors!

Please remember that the list archive (which is searchable) for the period since July 2004 is available at http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds . Anyone interested in the early years of its operation can visit http://lists.topica.com/lists/canberrabirds/ to see what was discussed in the 1999-2004 period.

Best wishes - David McDonald

--
David McDonald
Canberra Ornithologists Group email lists manager