canberrabirds

Black Angus & birds

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Black Angus & birds
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 19:29:03 +1000
This afternoon we went for a drive to see some birds and stopped near the dam on Pine Ridge just off Stockdill Drive, Holt. Only thing unusual (and a little surprising) was a Dollar Bird hawking from atop a willow.Walked along the fence a short distance and saw a Black Angus bull 70m away in the paddock. A flock of small birds landed over near the bull but we couldn't tell what they were. Intrepid brats climb through fence. "Get outa there, that bull could charge," I warned.

"That big heavy thing couldn't run, anyhow he's 'way over there." someone said.

"Get back through the fence now!" I shouted, "You never take a bull for granted."

Linda returned quickly, but Junior got stuck, one foot either side of the wire netting. "Look out! Bull's coming!" [it wasn't] Linda yelled, "Go, go, go!! "Can't, my jeans are caught on the wire, help me. Help!" Junior wailed. We stopped laughing long enough to release the wriggling brat while El Toro chewed his cud and watched. "That animal wasn't about to charge, he's peaceful. I'm surrounded by fools," the ungrateful little ingenue sniffed.

When all were calm again we headed to Stromlo Park with a brief stop at Coppins Crossing where two White-fronted Chats flushed from near the rocks landing on a fence but were off again soon as we moved towards them. At Stromlo Park we saw no chats but counted a flock of 26 Red-rumped Parrots (unusual for them to flock in such numbers during spring?). "Tail light parakeets," Samantha said, now fully recovered from her taurene trauma. Five King Parrots including one resplendent male. Three Gang-gangs overhead and a perched light phase Brown Falcon. B. Falcons often fool me in that phase, and as usual there was much argument cocerning the ID  until I called in Simpson & Day. We scared up two Common Bronze Wings that were poking about in dead fall beneath a tree.

John Layton.