canberrabirds

A little trip (final): near Lightning Ridge

To: <>
Subject: A little trip (final): near Lightning Ridge
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 09:45:58 +1100

By the hamlet of Dirranbandi Q., location of that rollicking early Hugh Jackman movie ‘Paperback Hero’, flows the Narran River.  This is an intermittent distributary of the Condamine/Balonne which eventually feeds Narran Lake far to the south-west in NSW.  In an exceptional year the Narran might, on the way, fill Angledool Lake, which in turn outflows into Weetalibah Creek, which (historically about every 10 years) might reach ‘Coocoran Lake’, about 12 km west of Lightning Ridge, on the other side of the highway.  However, given present conditions, Coocoran Lake might never again be more than a lake in name.  The vicinity of Coocoran Lake was where I spent 5 days of this trip.

On the second morning I was by the shearing shed trying to photograph flying Crested Pigeons for Rob Magrath when this came along.  Flight was direct but buoyant, giving the impression of a large grey, non-hovering kestrel:

 GREY F rep .jpg

With the almost daily sightings at Bowra, I now have the impression that much of inland Australia is awash with Grey Falcons.  I wait for someone to reinforce that impression with a more rigorous survey

The property I was staying at was of comparable size to Bowra with extensive tracts of interesting veg, although not much Mulga.  As at Bowra it took a bit of work to cover it all, particularly as the birds are really only active early morning and late afternoon.  By using a network of farm tracks and  opal mining roads, all the birds one might expect could be found tucked away somewhere, including these 3 favourites.  Of course all 3 can be found within a 4-hour drive to the west of Canberra, but you wouldn’t see as much opal mining, and the chances of seeing Hugh Jackman, nowhere very high these days, would be rather less.

drybirds comp.jpg