canberrabirds

Australian Raptors- low density?

Subject: Australian Raptors- low density?
From: con <>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 17:56:50 +1100
Adam
In terms of recent events, I understand that because of our terrible drought, waterbird counts in the Murray Darling Basin are at around 1% of their long-term average. I do not have a citation for the waterbird counts, sorry. Any raptores in the MDB that dine on waterfowl would had to have gone onto some other diet, or to have had a substantial reduction in numbers over the last decade. If you go on the MDB Authority site and check out their weekly report you will find graphs for inflows for this year, last year, the average for the last ten years, and for the long-term average. While this year is better than last year, it is still looking parlous.
regards
Con

The ACT is part of this Bruce Lindenmayer wrote:
Speculative, for sure, but we have big populations in the Canberra area of Pied Currawongs and Australian Magpies which together with Australian Ravens probably occupy some niches that raptores do in other environments. Currawongs in particular, are now rather more common in urban areas generally, than in surrounding bushland. Bruce