canberrabirds

A little trip (4): through Culgoa

Subject: A little trip (4): through Culgoa
From: con <>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 15:35:26 +1100
Australian Pratincole?

Geoffrey Dabb wrote:

The day before I left Bowra a group from Nowra arrived there. Chatting
to their leader I mentioned I was heading for Lightning Ridge. “You
never know what you’ll find”, Karen said. “That’s near where we found
the Grey-headed Lapwing.” Thus alerted to the strong possibility of a
Grey-headed Lapwing, I kept my eye out for one over the next few days,
but if one was about I must have missed it from concentrating on the road.

That day was the second Day of the Dust. This image conveys an idea of
the eerie landscape along the Job’s Gate Road, although I understand
it was much the same over much of eastern Australia:

this Australia.jpg

Knowing how keen some members of this chatline are on their ‘Wotsits’,
I offer this one of a bird glimpsed along the way. Reasonably
characteristic views of it. Anyone?

wotsits.JPG

My route ran through the 2 national parks straddling the border which
was crossed at Job’s Gate, where the effectiveness of the alleged
‘gate’ was impaired by the grid being filled with sand to the road
level. I had intended to camp for a night or two at Culgoa NP, but was
a bit behind schedule so I only checked out the camping area and did
the short walk to the ‘river’. This, a distributary arm of the
Condamine/Balonne system, was not flowing. A few predictable birds
were about. Black soil country, of course, probably much better
bird-life in early morning.**

* *

Later that day, I got a puncture, my mobile got a flat battery when I
needed some directions, and Geelong was behind at three-quarter time.
However, things had improved by the time the sun went down.