canberrabirds

sewage works and kellys swamp

To: <>
Subject: sewage works and kellys swamp
From: Tim Birch <>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 06:26:07 +0000
September 27 Sunday afternoon and very windy day with periodic rainy showers at the wetlands (rather like a cold English spring) but great birds. Black Shouldered Kite over the ponds. Male Blue Billed Duck and Little Grassbird. Dozens of Fairy Martins and Tree Martins feeding low on the ponds and at times were almost motionless in the strong winds - great for shots of birds in flight. Over on the Wetlands the 2 Black Winged Stilts present and were joined by 2 Sharp Tailed Sandpipers. To my surprise 4 Black Tailed Native Hens emerged on far bank behind the Stilts. Then in quick succession there was a run of birds of prey starting with a Hobby, then Whistling Kite and then a Swamp Harrier. Sacred Kingfisher in front of the main hide.
The Wetlands are clearly a great place for birding but it seems pretty rundown to me and why do the Parks Department mow the grass in front of the Hides which allows people to walk right in front of you when you are watching birds - in addition seeing a guy with a crossbow hunting rabbits on the reserve seemed rather disturbing. This would not be allowed on a nature reserve in the UK. Seems to me like this reserve needs some love and attention but still a stunning wetland jewel.

Tim

Beyond Hotmail - see what else you can do with Windows Live. Find out more.