canberrabirds

Australasian Skylark/Richard's Pipit behaviour (vertical descent) - a q

Subject: Australasian Skylark/Richard's Pipit behaviour (vertical descent) - a question [SEC=PERSONAL]
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:37:13 +1000
I have always called the things that fly to great heights singing loudly plain 'Skylarks" Alauda arvensis but it appears from an examination of the Birdlife International website that there is not only a Japanese Skylark Alauda japonica but also an Oriental Skylark Alauda gulgula so the "Eurasian' prefix to the species occurring here  is justified.  That site also referred to an Australasian Lark Mirafra javanica.  On looking up the Latin in HANZAB it turns out to be the Singing Bushlark for which the "Other English names" include Horsfields Bushlark or Australian Skylark.

However, if there are Singing Bushlarks at Gunghalin Hill I might take myself out there, as I have never persuaded one of these to cross my eyepieces!

Martin