canberrabirds

Wednesday walk to Mountain Creek Road

To: COG List <>
Subject: Wednesday walk to Mountain Creek Road
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 18:56:30 +1000
An excellent day was had by 13 memebers visiting three TSRs along Mountain Creek Road (NW of Urriara Crossing).  I have yet to tally the total daylist but allowing for species seen "along the way" we must have spotted 60+ species.  An excellent set of areas, thanks to Ian Fraser for developing the idea of a trip along this road.

Some hghlights from my perspective:
  • 9 White-fronted Chats at Stomlo Forest Park before we 'formally' started;
  • Satin Bowerbird at both Tinkers Creek and Cavan (the latter a blue bird).
  • Western and Whitethroated Gerygones chasing one another at the Mullion;
  • Red-rumped parrots Inspecting a spout very near the Mullion TSR;
  • Rufous Songlarjk and White-necked Heron between the Mullion and Cavan;
  • Leaden Flycatchers (m & f) at Cavan
  • Restless Flycatchers at Cavan
  • Rainbow Bee-eater at Cavan.

Lotsa orchids at Mullion and Cavan