canberrabirds

magpie nesting

To: <>
Subject: magpie nesting
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 14:00:23 +1000

Philip  -  The relevant sentence in your booklet is:  "Nest building commences and peaks in July and is finished by October".  The graph in the COG atlas suggests a slightly later conclusion, and is as follows:

magpie breeding.JPG

Bob’s mot – and you do sometimes need to be on your toes for these - related to the photograph (see below) which showed the magpie holding some whisker-like twigs, so as to suggest, perhaps, a cat, but making me think, for some reason, of the Martians in early Buck Roger comics.

Alastair -  I doubt that your bird is a Pectoral Sandpiper, if that’s what you’re thinking, but I’m not the expert.  g