canberrabirds

Mt Rogers Tuesday morning

To: "canberra birds" <>
Subject: Mt Rogers Tuesday morning
From: "Rosie - Internode" <>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 19:43:21 +1000
Responding to Superb parrot calls I moved into the narrow easement between Woodger place houses & those in Avery PLace, Fraser. (09.15)
I almost walked over two Superb parrots beacuse they were behaving like Red-rumped parrots, eating busily on the ground. They flew up into a eucalypt, preened & then flew down again to resume feeding. They were eating the green seeds and flowers of Chickweed Stellaria media. It's an introduced weed which germinated prolifically in this winter's pattern of rainfall & relative warmth.
Both birds showed juvenile/female colouring but one had a pinker beak. The other bird had a bluish 'blush' on parts of the lower back and scattered yellow feathers over the rest of the back (Colour similar to a Scaly breasted lorikeet's)
Other Superbs were heard as I watched these two but there wasn't any sound of a larger group...perhaps that's an evening pr pre-dusk phenomenon. A magpie took exception to their presence after about 10 minutes.

Both Golden & Rufous whistlers were represented over the 90 minutes 'up there'

Rosemary