canberrabirds

Swans & upcoming Koels

To: Charmian Lawson <>
Subject: Swans & upcoming Koels
From: Beth Mantle <>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 18:18:41 +1000
Hi Charmian and everyone,

I walked my dog by the lake this morning and spotted 2 different pairs of swans with differently-aged cygnets.  The first pair were on the pond by the eastern end of Floriade; their 2 cygnets looked reasonably mature (PB duck-sized).  The second pair were on the lake and had 4 quite small, young cygnets.

In other news, my mum phoned me today to check the ID on a Common Koel in her back yard in Brisbane.  I could hear it calling while on the phone to Mum, and she says it has been there for about a week.  I wonder how long it will take the first one to show up here?  Martin, what do the records say?

I love Spring!!

Cheers,
Beth

Beth Mantle