canberrabirds

COG Area Of Intereste cells around Gunning - a bird drought?

To: COG list <>
Subject: COG Area Of Intereste cells around Gunning - a bird drought?
From: con <>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 17:17:00 +1000
I spent about five hourse birding grid cells north and south of Gunning along Lade Road and along the old Hume Highway. I birded mainly from the roadsides but had a good walk through TSR 46 (well worth a stop if you are driving from Gundaroo to Gunning). Birding conditions were generally excellent. While the country was green, the grass in the paddocks was very, very short. None of the dams were full. I recorded none of the following: robins; Sittella; Speckled Warbler; Restless Flycather; Jacky Winter; Southern Whiteface; Hooded Robin; Brown Honeyeater. Others were recorded in low numbers: two White-throated Treecreepers, one Skylark and one pair of Masked Plovers. Wattlebirds, Galahs, Crested Pigeons, Eastern Rosellas and Sulphur-crested Cockatoos were sparse.

Best for the day two Yellow Thornbills (pleasingly, in the 1994 LandCare plantation on Lade Road); a Grey Butcherbird; seveal pairs of Rufous Songlarks, two pairs of Dusky Woodswallows, two Mistletoebirds and several Hardhead at the Gunning Sewerage ponds. A small flock of Fairy Martins were hanging around the bridge near TSR 46. There were many 'bottle' nests, but all looked old. Flocks of up to 14 Yellow-faced Honeyeaters were flying through Gunning. Most of the dams had Wood Duck and many had Grey Teal. Several had pairs of Australasian Grebes in breeding plumage. Pallid and Brush Cuckoos took it in turns to confuse me with their calls.

Raptors: 4 Nankeen Kestrels, a Whistling Kite and a Brown Goshawk.

Con