canberrabirds

Powerful Owl seen again in Botanic Gardens rainforest

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Powerful Owl seen again in Botanic Gardens rainforest
From: "Jenny Bounds" <>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 17:25:48 +1000
This afternoon I found the Powerful Owl while having a quiet coffee in the rainforest area.  It was roosting high in tall Blackwood trees just under the top canopy, was disturbed by and then harrassed by Pied Currawongs which chased it across the gully several times.  It ended up in a tall Blackwood on the cafe side.  Best viewing spot from near the seat at the half circle viewing place, just below the upper bridge crossing (on the southern, visitor centre side of the rainforest gully).  It is an adult bird.

I was able to show the bird to some of the ANBG Guides who are leading Breakfast with the Birds walks over Sept and Oct.  We hope it might find a lower roost as its hard to see high in the canopy!

cheers
Jenny