canberrabirds

Vera Lynn

To: "'Geoffrey Dabb'" <>, <>
Subject: Vera Lynn
From: "Shaun Bagley" <>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:52:27 +1000

Geoffrey,

With the greatest respect (as a lawyer you should know that what follows will be critical...and I think you already know what I am going to say), the “bluebirds” referred to in Vera Lynn’s tribute were the airmen who wore blue uniforms as they went out and sometimes back over the chalk cliffs of Dover in Great Britain’s defence. Many of them were in the USAF who would have been familiar with the Eastern or Western Bluebird, perhaps even the Mountain Bluebird of the Rockies, in the U.S.

And I also take issue with Mark Cocker’s observation. While I might agree that the rarities are wind-blown, disoriented etc. their appearance is of importance because it may herald the introduction of a new species in a geographic area.  It only takes two after all. The effects of time have caused movements in species that must have had some initial impetus which was not expected.  Here in Australia we have witnessed arrival of species in areas that we say is influenced by changes in weather patterns. Why would that not be the same in the Atlantic where the great geographic influence is the Gulf Stream that flows from N. America to the West Coast of Ireland?

Cheers

Shaun Bagley