canberrabirds

Tharwa Sandwash 19 Aug 2009

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Tharwa Sandwash 19 Aug 2009
From: "Esme Barker and Bruce Ramsay" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 15:08:10 +1000
Did another of my monthly visits to Tharwa Sandwash this morning.

21 species, up from an all-time low (for me) of 13 species last month but still well short of the 30+ that are regular through summer. Very few of the migrants (or at least, the birds that seem to desert this area for winter) back yet.

Highlights were:
3 Scarlet Robins - 1 male, 2 females (one very bright red on breast, the other quite sombre in comparison although still with the red markings easily discernible)
2 small groups (4 and 5 birds) of Yellow-faced Honeyeaters passing through heading westerly.
3 Nankeen Kestrels - the most I have seen at this site, usually only a single bird or occasionally 2 is all that I have seen. 2 of the 3 were "in company" with each other and were performing an aerial display involving soaring near each other, and the uppermost bird occasionally swooping the other nad attempting to atalon-grapple.
2 Brown Goshawks - I am aware that these birds are resident breeders at the site but this is the first occasion I have sighted them in my visits since there were 3 present in mid-January.

Bruce