canberrabirds

ukuru and the top end

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: ukuru and the top end
From: Elizabeth Compston <>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 12:52:21 +1000
For anyone going to Uluru or the Top Ed we have a couple of bits of advice. Buy the book "Boom and Bust" which is interesting anyway. But it makes the visit to Alice Springs and the Centre even more interesting, particularly, the article about the zebra finch. In Alice Springs we went to the Desert Park and saw crimson finches nesting. It is a great park. As we watched the sun set over Uluru, about a dozen crested finches were very close to us, picking up any crumbs from our niblies. Just before the sun set, they all flew away, to roost I guess, but we could not see where they had gone. There are very few trees of any size, in that place

Two other books to have if you are Darwin are "Finding Birds in Darwin, Kakadu and the Top End" by McCrie and Watson and "Birds of Australia's Top End by Goodfellow". We did not buy eiter of these books because the folk at the B.and B. where we stayed for 3 nights, close to Fogg Dam lent us their's. It was a marvellous place to stay, with many small birds in their garden. More information about it to anyone interested

Near to the far end of the Fogg Dam, behind a tussock, about 4 metres away, we saw the heads of 2 swamp harrier chicks pop up. When we returned, a week or so later to check on their progress there was no sign of them and there were tracks through the grass, (not a croc, although they are around). Who, and why, would someone steal chicks?

Elizabeth