canberrabirds

Breeding behaviour?

To: "'John Brannan'" <>
Subject: Breeding behaviour?
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 11:37:19 +1000
John -  Apparently behaviour of this kind has not been reported for the SCC
either.  The 'fed' bird certainly seemed adult, and the procedure matched
that reported for captive Gang-gangs.

Perhaps I should have given a fuller account.  The male was above the female
on the perch and made head-bobbing movements while shifting its position
giving a restless appearance.  There was no vocalising until the male
lowered its head and the female raised hers, when both would break into the
'ne-ne-ne-ne' sound which lasted for the few seconds of each feeding
transaction.  There were 5-6 'feedings'.

I said 'breeding behaviour?' because it seems to me that this might be more
in the nature of pair-bonding and not necessarily foreshadowing nesting,
which might be months away.    g