canberrabirds

Sightings of Banded Lapwings - request for next 4 years

To: Birding Aus <>, <>, <>
Subject: Sightings of Banded Lapwings - request for next 4 years
From: Damien Farine <>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 17:19:45 +1000
Birdwatchers one and all,
I am planning to undertake a project on Banded Lapwings over the next four years (2009-2012).  The study will investigate their interactions with the landscape and land management.  In order to achieve the project goals, I will need to locate breeding pairs, and preferably a number of larger groups (both breeding and non-breeding).  The study area will primarily cover Southern NSW (all the way to the SA border) and Central NSW (north to the Qld border).  However, there may be scope to study birds outside of NSW if suitable colonies are found (northern Tasmania is a candidate study area also).

I would like to request from anyone that is willing to send me their sightings of Banded Lapwings made between now and the end of 2012, both inside and outside these areas.  Information that would be useful includes:
 - Breeding
 - GPS location
 - Number of birds
 - Habitat (can be general)
 - Land tenure
 - Contact details for access (if possible)

Information on known colony areas would also be useful.

This study will be undertaken through The CSIRO and the Australian National University.  Animal ethics approval is pending through the CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems Animal Ethics Committee.  Please forward sightings to my CSIRO email:

Please feel free to forward this email to anyone offlist who might have sightings information, and I am happy to answer any queries regarding the project.

Thank you all, and I look forward to hearing from you.
Damien

Make ninemsn your homepage! Get the latest news, goss and sport