canberrabirds

White-bellied Sea-Eagles at Lake Burley G.

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: White-bellied Sea-Eagles at Lake Burley G.
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 09:36:24 +1000
Stopped off at CSIRO Entomology yesterday afternoon to collect a copy of Boom & Bust courtesy  Beth Mantle (what a great read) then went to Black Mt Peninsula to soak up winter sun and dip into book. Stood looking east across the water, the embankment fell steeply away from the carpark and was fairly overgrown so I couldn't see the water's edge. Watched Noisy Miners hustling a Common Blackbird out of town.

From my casual observations miners seem to be increasing locally at places like Black Mt Peninsula. Expanding out from ANU Campus perhaps? Then, while contemplating miners & blackbirds, a W-b S-E rose not 30m in front of me (must have been squatting right at the water's edge) and flew east towards the NMA before pulling to port and setting a course in the direction of Central Basin. A moment later it reappeared soaring, its wings held at high dihedral in the "giant butterfly" configuration characteristic of the species.

"Wow, he got upstairs quick." I thought. Just then another W-b S-E (probably the one I saw fly from the shore) appeared, climbed to join it and the pair headed for angels then set off towards the Brindabellas.

John Layton.