canberrabirds

Fees for Tidbinbilla

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: Fees for Tidbinbilla
From: Ian Hodgson <>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 09:05:41 +1000
While it would be wonderful if Tidbinbilla entry was free, as with the National Botanic Gardens, though it's not national in the same sense as the gardens, I don't think $20 is unreasonable for an annual fee. I wouldn't bother with $10 for a once off visit - just buy the annual ticket and make sure to go again. It's a lovely place, and really not far.

It's worth noting that the NGA, for example, charges locals more for membership on the grounds that they use it more than interstate visitors.

The per person charge for coaches and school groups will be insignificant in the context of to total cost of a coach excursion, but over a year shoulod bring in a fair bit.

More sinister, if that's the right word, to my mind is the notice in today's CT, Fridge Door, that an ACT Volunteer Grants Program is offering up to $5000 to not-for-profit groups working in the ACT with volunteers. It is for reimbursement of volunteers' out of pocket expenses, like fuel, bus fares and parking. I have not been aware of this before and it concerns me that it could become the thin end of a wedge for organisations that depend on volunteers, like COG and others that I belong to.

How long will it be before we start to get demands for reimbursement before anyone will do anything? And how will we dispense the grant if we do apply for it successfully. Or will it be just more time consuming grant writing with little or no chance of success? Maybe I'm being unfair to the vast bulk of volunteers, but it does seem to me to change the notion of volunteering somewhat.

Ian Hodgson