canberrabirds

Fw: [Birding-Aus] Legislation regarding tape playback

To: Tony Lawson <>
Subject: Fw: [Birding-Aus] Legislation regarding tape playback
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 10:01:11 +1000
I would hope there would be no impact on COG Surveys.  The exchange attached to Tony's message seems to start off looking at legislation aimed at preventing undue ruckus in national parks: for example this might be able to be used to prevent people:
  • using Black Mountain as a Laser Paintball venue (which I have observed in the past); or
  • riding noisy minibikes at Kelly's Swamp (on which I posted recently); or
  • riding trail bikes in Tallaganda National Park (on any weekend day).
The post two links later appears to interpret the legislation as preventing birding.  I suspect there are a few logical leaps along the way there.  Although nothing involving lawyers - especially if a lot of chargeable hours are involved - should ever be linked in any way to common sense.

One key issue is who would place the complaint?  Given the level of staffing of most Conservation agencies it would be most unlikely that they would encounter anyone using playback on (eg) Chestnut-rumped Heathwrens.  I doubt if such activities would register on any police priority listing.  So, would a birder lodge a complaint about another birder using a reasonable amount of playback - most unlikely.

Martin

Martin