canberrabirds

stromlo forest park

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: stromlo forest park
From: Elizabeth Compston <>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 18:46:16 +1000

We went to Stromlo Forest Park about 3.00pm . We stopped soon after the entrance where there is a gate on the LHS through which you can easily climb (where Jack took us when we were out hoping to find raptors). and where white fronted chats are usually seen. We found no white fronted chats today. However we flushed 5 brown quail, not seen here before, I think.

Also there was a kestrel, hovering, them moving on. Then we saw it sitting on the yellow pole on the top of the small green hill, eating something small. A mouse? The magpies were very interested and they harassed the kestrel which then flew away with the magpies chasing for a short distance.

Elizabeth