canberrabirds

Yellow-tufted Honeyeater in Gordon [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: "Perkins, Harvey" <>
Subject: Yellow-tufted Honeyeater in Gordon [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: "Esme Barker and Bruce Ramsay" <>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 11:16:04 +1000
Hi Harvey.
This is the first year I've seen Y-t HE here. As far as I can tell from my limited stock of past ABRs, they are not seen in suburban GBS sites very often - your record from a couple of years ago is one of only 2 that I can see for the past 5 years (altho I seem to have misplaced my 2006 ABR so am not sure now what is in it).

I've not seen the bird here without the company of White-plumes (which have been around in varying numbers in my GBS site for most of the previous 5 weeks). Wednesday last week there were 4 of them with the Y-t HE, as well as a few Pardalotes of both species. They were all feeding on manna on the leaves of a eucalypt in my back garden and eventually moved off about mid-morning.

9 W-plumes and the Y-t HE were back the following day (Thursday last week) and were all quite happily feeding and chasing in the eucalypt until a pair of Red Wattlebirds turned up - those 2 then proceeded to clear the tree of all other birds in about 30 seconds flat! I haven't seen a White-plume or the Yellow-tufted again til this morning - but I must say they are a pretty striking bird to have around and very hard to get a decent photo of because they seem to be never still (and also because I'm not a very adept photographer!)

Bruce