canberrabirds

RFI Wee Jasper [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: <>, <>
Subject: RFI Wee Jasper [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: Paul Mahoney <>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 03:05:28 +1000
Hi Marnix,

I have a banding site about 7km out of Wee Jasper on the road towards Tumut where I have been banding since 2003.  The site was not directly fire-affected, but obviously significant areas nearby were affected.  The site is mothballed at the moment as I am stationed in Tunis for a year.

I have banded both Red-browed Treecreepers and Crescent Honeyeaters at the site.

I regularly observed RBTC in the earlier years at the site, but the last time I recorded one there was in June 2005.  There have also been other species that seem to have departed the site (possibly as surrounding areas recovered from the fires or due to the dry conditions over recent years), including Gang-gang Cockatoo, Yellow-rumped Thornbill and New Holland HE.

I have only recorded Crescent Honeyeaters in Winter / Spring, between mid-June and mid-September (so you might be a bit early on Sunday).  They were there as recently as September 2008.  All of my records for Crescent HEs have come from the blackberry along Wee Jasper creek.

I can send you detailed directions to the banding site off-line if you are interested.

Regards,
Paul

Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 10:35:10 +1000
Subject: [canberrabirds] RFI Wee Jasper [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

UNCLASSIFIED

Hi,

I am heading to Wee Jasper on Sunday and wondered if anyone knows of reliable sites there to find Red-browed Treecreeper and Crescent Honeyeater.

I seem to recall a thread discussing this some time back.

Thanks

Marnix Zwankhuizen | Assistant Director

Java Enterprise Technology | Information Technology

Australian Electoral Commission

T: 02 6271 4465 | M: 0407 930 521 | F: 02 6271 4644

Find out how with Windows Live! Want to stay on top of your life online?