canberrabirds

Double-banded Plovers and White-fronted Chats at Tuross Estuary

To: "Beth Mantle" <>, "Canberra Birds birds" <>
Subject: Double-banded Plovers and White-fronted Chats at Tuross Estuary
From: "Kamprad" <>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 15:05:36 +1000

Not only is the book Birdwatching on the Far South Coast"  useful so are the posting on this chat line. I followed up Dimitris Bertzeletos's posting and sure enough the two species were obliging enough to have stayed around for me to see them last Saturday. It was worth having the scope as I could clearly see the rufousy feathers from the lower band of one of the birds.
Approx 20 Red-necked Stints were still present as well. A few Red-capped Plovers raced around as they do.
A male Varigated Fairy-wren in breeding plumage darted around the car park near the Caravan Park. The shallow water in front of the caravan park hosted lots of interesting fish including long toms and many stingrays.
A lone Caspian Tern graced the sandbank near the boat ramp as did a group of Crested Terns.
I spied some Great Egrets in the shallow water about 300m further along towards the highway.
Cheers Julienne