canberrabirds

following denis email

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: following denis email
From: Elizabeth Compston <>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 10:05:45 +1000

Mrs. Crowe was 95 years old, and up to the day before she died, she was talking about the migrating honeyeaters. She was a great lady. I missed seeing her by a few hours. She has been keeping records for many years and I hope that those records can be used.

It was a marvellous day out with Denis. He showed us so much which we would not otherwise have seen. 4WD vehicle definitely required. Dennis thought that the honeyeaters were on R and R. Well, they were not resting at all, hard to get your binoculars on to them. But recreation? yes. They were feeding and having fun. The bush in that area is so interesting so many banksias and other plants that the birds could feed on, but the road from Braidwood is, well, not very good. Parts are sealed, parts not and parts are being rebuilt, a huge undertaking.

Seeing the tawny-crested honeyeater was icing on te cake.

Denis thinks that the birds fly from there to Jervis Bay where there is plenty of food for them. My opinion is that they continue north, pass near Robertson and Berrima and then on to the Blue Mountains. But, of course, we do not know the route of any of them or how far they fly. Maybe Carol Proberts, near Katoomba, sees some of the birds that leave from the Brindabellas, fly east from Angle Crossing and on to the foot of the Araluan Valley. (We have seen migrating birds on that route for several years). Then north along the edge of the Budawangs. We used to think that they followed the Dua River to the coast but could never find many birds along that road. Of course, they don't have to follow a road.

All conjecture.

Elizabeth