canberrabirds

Duskies and White-fronted Chats again

To: <>
Subject: Duskies and White-fronted Chats again
From: Julian Robinson <>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 17:59:56 +1000
To conflate two topical Canberra issues - this may be one reason why some Dusky Woodswallows have opted to remain so far ... taken at Callum Brae yesterday where the numbers of both duskies and swallows has increased to about 30 of each (from ~8 each last time I was there).  It shows that at least one woodswallow was feeding on the plague of European Wasps that are about at the moment.  I was interested to notice that despite there also being a lesser plague of Pasture Day Moths (also a pest apparently, but not exotic), they did not seem to be the food of choice for the birds.  Many moths flew around and were ignored, while this wasp, seemingly a more difficult target to deal with, was taken.  Good bird Beryl!

Julian

Emacs!

Pasture Day Moth
Emacs!