canberrabirds

Zebra Finches at Hoskinstown

To: COG List <>
Subject: Zebra Finches at Hoskinstown
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 14:46:54 +1000
Despite the howling wind this morning I decided to go for a bicycle-borne finch and robin hunt on the Hoskinstown Plain.  As I headed North from Hoskinstown I had gone about 2km I saw and heard a Small flock of finches fly from some rank grass into on of the many hawthorns beside the road.  They didn't look 'right' for any of my expected targets and on getting my bins onto one of them - the only one obliging enough to stay of the road side of the hawthorn - was astonished to find it was a zebra finch.  By putting on a spurt - uphill into the gale - I was able to get in front of the flock and get a reasonable look at the whole group as they turned off across the paddock.

Given the strength of their flight I am confident they weren't escapees.

Shortly after I saw a flock of about 20 European Goldfinches, but no other finches or robins.  And I was completely knackered by the time I got home!

Martin