canberrabirds

Ingledean and Tharwa Sandwash [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Ingledean and Tharwa Sandwash [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: "Whitworth, Benjamin - BRS" <>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 17:22:52 +1000

Nicki et al. Info for tomorrow

Field Nats went to Ingledean and Tharwa Sandwash last Sunday. We got to our site and it was cold and very windy, with a few spots of rain, and over the period of half an hour not one honeyeater had passed through. Although, we did see wedge-tailed eagles. After a quick check of the forest, which was teeming with birds including speckled warblers, thornbills, scarlet robin female and others, we decided to go to Tharwa Sandwash. The hills paralleling Tharwa Sandwash afforded protection from the wind to some extent and we managed to see lots of thornbills, swallows, pardalotes, double-barred finches and even a brown treecreeper, restless flycatcher, speckled warbler and got good views of scarlet robins. In fact the swallows landed quite close to us and gave us a great and rare opportunity to see their beauty and take photos. I am also pretty sure we had 2 female/juvenile flame robins. We did manage to see some honeyeaters including yellow-faced and white-naped and a white-eared, plus silvereyes- most were heading North, strangely.

This contrasted the day before where, at the Pinnacle, we saw literally hundreds (Probably >300) yellow faced and white nape pass NE over the stringy bark forest. The most I have ever seen there.

Benj

------
IMPORTANT - This message has been issued by The Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF). The information transmitted is for the use of the intended recipient only and may contain sensitive and/or legally privileged material. It is your responsibility to check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening or sending them on.

Any reproduction, publication, communication, re-transmission, disclosure, dissemination or other use of the information contained in this e-mail by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. The taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments. If you have received this e-mail as part of a valid mailing list and no longer want to receive a message such as this one advise the sender by return e-mail accordingly. Only e-mail correspondence which includes this footer, has been authorised by DAFF
------