canberrabirds

Large moth ID

To: <>
Subject: Large moth ID
From: "Steve Holliday" <>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 13:14:30 +1000

Hi John

Most likely one of the swift moths (Hepialidae) or wood/goat moths (Cossidae) - both of these families contain some very large species. A swift moth may be more likely as I think a lot of them are known to emerge and fly in autumn, particularly after rain; the big wood moths (Endoxyla spp) may be more likely in summer. The swift moth Trictena atripalpis would be my guess, females have a wingspan of up to 16cm - have a squizz at this site and see if anything looks like yours - just click on the relevant family and browse the photos – there are some nice shots of live specimens

http://linus.socs.uts.edu.au/~don/larvae/moths.html

cheers

Steve