canberrabirds

RE:Currawongs 36-Small Passerines nil.......

To: hot line <>
Subject: RE:Currawongs 36-Small Passerines nil.......
From: terry gourlay <>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 06:07:35 +0000
Dear All,
           At the risk of seeming tedious I would again draw peoples attention to the dearth of small passerines in the Majura foothills behind Mackenzie St Hackett....The only birds that are prospering seem these dratted Currawongs,larger parrots and Crested Pigeons....I could have added Noisy Miners to the list but on Sunday while in the back yard,my attention was drawn to three Mynas trying to fend off  an attack on a fourth from two Currawongs,as I watched another two Currawongs came to join the fray....All over in half a minute....But I started to reflect "Strange,where are the rest of the Colony of Miners usually about Ten?" Since then I have looked for the birds in their usual haunts (Usually they stick around in a 300 yard radius of my back gate)and also a second Colony about four hundred yards along the track....Not a Sausage...Well them that live longest see the most!only time will tell.Another casualty to these vermin is the Eastern Rosella he seems to have dissapeared too,as I saw one taken by Currawongs off a feeding table about five years ago they are probably also casualties ....there seems plenty of seed for them so assuming there is no dreaded Pollypandemic I think we could reasonably assume it is the Currawong...Oh 36-nil?well I thought before the Honeyeaters come through to distort the figures I would count the Small passerines and Currawongs encountered during a half hour stroll up the hill behind my home....As an aside,there is a Currawong nest used every year in a tree in front of my home,it might make a valuable exercise for some student perhaps to examine the food remnants in that nest....Failing that why not expand the Mynah trapping to Currawongs?..

Let ninemsn property search for you. Need a new place to rent, share or buy?