canberrabirds

Goorooyaroo woodland surveys

To: <>
Subject: Goorooyaroo woodland surveys
From: "Nicki Taws" <>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 12:59:21 +1100
The woodland bird surveys of northern Goorooyaroo were carried out this Friday morning in fine and still conditions. Interestingly the mistletoe Amyema pendula was in good flower attracting numerous butterflies and a few Eastern Spinebills. These woodlands don't seem to feature on the honeyeater migration and today was no exception with only a handfull of Yellow-faced Honeyeaters sighted, even though there seem to be many honeyeaters moving through southern Canberra today.

As is usual for this time of year, the small birds were in large mixed feeding flocks which makes the survey sites either deadly quiet for small birds or frantically busy. These flocks are invariably made up of Buff-rumped and Striated Thornbills, Weebills and both pardalote species, with variable additions of Grey Fantails, Scarlet Robins, Yellow-rumped Thornbills, gerygones, Rufous Whistlers and a few other species.

An interesting surprise on one of the otherwise deadly quiet sites was a White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike dark morph. I passed through one of the usual haunts of Hooded Robins but didn't find any for the third season running. I was beginning to despair of seeing this species again at Gooroo when at the second last site I hit the jackpot with a Hooded Robin, Red-capped Robin and Scarlet Robin all within the site (plus Speckled Warbler).

cheers
Nicki Taws

0408 210 736