canberrabirds

[Fwd: Australia's Biodiversity Conservation Strategy 2010-2020: Con

Subject: [Fwd: Australia's Biodiversity Conservation Strategy 2010-2020: Consultation draft [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]]
From: "Canberra Ornithologists Group Inc." <>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 10:39:21 +1100 (EST)
this information may be of interest to some members.
Sandra Henderson

From: "NBS Secretariat" <>
Date: Thu, March 26, 2009 17:35

> Dear Colleague
>
> It is now well understood that the decline of Australia's biodiversity
> and the loss of critical ecosystem services that they provide has the
> potential to impact on all sectors of our society and economy. While
> we recognise the advances made by the community, all governments, the
> private sector and researchers in addressing biodiversity
> conservation, it remains a significant issue that requires our serious
> and ongoing attention.
>
> In this context, I am writing to invite you to contribute to the
> development of Australia's new national biodiversity strategy.
>
> Australia's Biodiversity Conservation Strategy 2010-2020, has been
> developed through a Review Task Group that reports to the National
> Resource Management Ministerial Council (NRMMC). The Task Group is
> made up of representatives from the Australian Government, all state
> and territory governments, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial
> Research Organisation (CSIRO) and the Bureau of Meteorology. The
> sections of the strategy relating to Indigenous peoples have been
> jointly drafted with Indigenous community representatives.
>
> The draft Strategy, released on Monday 23 March for public comment
> sets out six priorities for change:
>
> * building ecosystem resilience
> * mainstreaming biodiversity
> * knowledge for all
> * getting results
> * involving Indigenous peoples
> * measuring success.
>
> These six priorities provide a framework for identifying clear
> objectives that will progress coordinated actions by governments, the
> community, industry and scientists to better manage and protect
> Australia's plants, animals and ecosystems over the next ten years.
> The national framework provided by the Strategy is particularly
> important in the face of increasing pressures on our terrestrial,
> aquatic and marine environments from climate change, habitat loss and
> fragmentation, and invasive species.
>
> It is important to appreciate that the draft Strategy serves to align
> and integrate commitments and opportunities for biodiversity
> conservation across all governments and with those arising from the
> community and the private sector so that effort is better focussed and
> prioritised around agreed objectives.
>
> Public consultation process
>
> The public consultation phase will run from 23 March to 29 May 2009.
> Public information sessions will be held in all state and territory
> capital cities and some regional centres from 30 March to 30 April
> 2009. The sessions are to inform people about the draft Strategy and
> to answer any questions including how to make a submission.
>
> Your involvement will significantly contribute to shaping the
> Strategy's aims over the next ten years and your participation is
> greatly valued.
>
> To participate in the consultation process you are invited to:

> [...]

------
If you have received this transmission in error please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies. If this e-mail or any attachments have been sent to you in error, that error does not constitute waiver of any confidentiality, privilege or copyright in respect of information in the e-mail or attachments.

------

Canberra Ornithologists Group Inc.
PO Box 301
Civic Square ACT 2608