canberrabirds

101 Whiskers Creek Road etc

To: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Subject: 101 Whiskers Creek Road etc
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 21:39:36 +1100
Geoffrey suggested this and I have no problem with providing it so here goes.  Hopefully the 3 images will be delivered for a total of <100Kb.

Whisk 1 shows my GBS site.  A fairly large garden (although I know of sites with bigger gardens) surrounded by what we are trying to turn into some bush.  Most of the big trees are yellow box, with some red gums along the creek which forms the eastern boundary of the site.  There are also a few willows and pines alongside the road - at least until we start running low on firewood.  I probably walk over the whole site 3 or 4 times a week and spend several hours a day looking out of the study window at the birds on the lawn or working in the vege garden with the birds around that!  Most of my waterbird records are of birds flying over site going into or away from the dam just outside the Western boundary of the site.

Whisk 2 shows the whole of our property.  The house is at about 770m amsl while the top corner is about 820.  The top paddock has been rated as having some good native grasses by people who know their grasses.  Again most of the big trees are yellow box or re gum but there are at least 7 eucalyptus and similar species.  The middle paddock has never been cleared whereas the ones around the house have been rigorously cleared and we're trying to get some growth happening.  Rain - what rain?

Whisk 3 puts the place into a context with a few other spots you might recognise.  It is approached via the Captains Flat Rd.

Martin