canberrabirds

ID on a bug please

To: "'Cog line'" <>
Subject: ID on a bug please
From: "Steve Holliday" <>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 17:17:18 +1100

Hi Heather and Fred

This is a feather-horned beetle (family Rhipiceridae, species is probably Rhipicera femorata).

I remember these being fairly common in coastal Victoria when I lived down that way, I believe it has quite a wide distribution in south-eastern Australia. The antenna are quite spectacular up close, see http://www.myrmecos.net/insects/Rhipicera1.html

cheers

Steve