canberrabirds

Breeding Hobbys & absolute numbers of D Firetails in Callum Brae

To: canberrabirds chatline <>
Subject: Breeding Hobbys & absolute numbers of D Firetails in Callum Brae
From: Julian Robinson <>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 16:18:00 +1100
In Callum Brae last week there were two beautifully marked immature Hobbys. Maybe they were bred and born in Callum Brae although I haven't visited until recently this year. Perhaps someone else saw signs of nesting.

I conducted a small experiment while there with the aim of determining absolute numbers of Diamond Firetails, given they are a species of concern.  I watched a dam that they were drinking at, and in one hour there was a consistent flow of incoming DF's and I counted 26 incoming birds.  My books say that DF's drink "several times a day" so assuming from this that no bird drank more than once in two hours it seems a reasonable minimum number in that area might be 2x26=52.  This would be so if they visited the dam at a constant rate and if every bird drank every two hours, and they were not also using any of the other dams in the vicinity.

For a maximum, you might try assuming that they only drank every 4 hours on average and were also using one of the six other dams, (I didn't see any but the Wed walkers saw them at a different dam a few days before) which would give you 200.

So my guess is there are 50 - 200 Diamond Firetails in the Callum Brae at the moment.

Julian

Emacs!