canberrabirds

Pied Currawong mimicry

To: "COG" <>
Subject: Pied Currawong mimicry
From: "Sharon Rusk" <>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 08:31:53 +1100 (AUS Eastern Daylight Time)
Hi!
Two days ago while sitting on the veranda, I heard a Striated Pardalot calling intermittently, it's  monotonous "Peetew" contact call  .   Striated Pards are not a common bird in my neck of the woods so I was surprised to hear it.  Searching the tall tree tops with my binos there was nothing to be seen except a P. Currawong which I focused on. There it was, sitting half way down the foliage calling with it's head up and mouth open, exactly like a St.P, the same noise level, same consistency everything.  It would do 2 to 3 calls then listen, looking  in that menacing and threatening way that only PCs can achieve. It was only a single bird and I am almost sure that it was actively hunting the SPs or at least attempting to attract them. I've heard this call often before at home but could never find the culprit, I never thought of looking to see if there was CPs around so I can't tell if it's a common thing. I would put anything past these birds, they are so clever and devious you have to grudgingly admire them.

Cheers
Bob