canberrabirds

Snippets from Lake Ginninderra

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Snippets from Lake Ginninderra
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 19:41:56 +1100
At McDermott Place, Lake Ginninderra, this morning in eucalypts near the boat ramp I saw two immature bronze cuckoos, but whether they were Horsfields or Shining Bronze, I couldn't tell.

About 50m away, out on the water, I watched a Silver Gull flying along very close to the surface, then after ~ 60m, it turned and went back the other way. I zapped the binos on it and believe the bill was agape,  tip of lower mandible cutting through the water reminiscent of the Skimmers Rynchops spp of the northern hemisphere. Ain't never seen the likes but a brat said she'd read of such behavior by Silver Gulls in HANZAB. I've no doubt that's right but didn't check.

Across on the opposite shore several dark objects arrayed on drooping foliage of a eucalypt caught my attention and, when I glassed them, turned out to be Dusky Moorhens, all a good 5m above the ground. Never seen them go arboreal before. Probably moor to them than I was aware of.

John Layton.