canberrabirds

Eagle display

To: "'Philip Veerman'" <>, "'Rod's Gardening'" <>
Subject: Eagle display
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 09:41:36 +1100

In their heydays, the Luna Parks at Melbourne and Sydney each touted two undulating squeal-generating attractions labelled ‘Scenic Railway’ and ‘Big Dipper’.  In the opinion of users, the Sydney ‘Scenic Railway’ offered a degree of excitement  equivalent to Melbourne’s puny ‘Big Dipper’.  The North American _expression_ is ‘roller-coaster’, which has become a generic term, widely used as a metaphor. It was not in common use in Australia in the Luna Park days.